Friday, September 28, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Grasp


On Fridays we scribble along with the nice folks at Five Minute Friday.  Here's the latest as it rolled out of my exhausted brain:

I grasp at them.
The grains of time's sandglass
barely slow down as they
sift through my winnowing fingers.

They are the moments of my existence,
and I feel them slipping away
into the ocean of memories
that is my past.

They join other memories
making eddies of sorrow and joy,
and when I dip my hand
in that maelstrom,
I cannot retrieve joy without sorrow.

But, along with with sorrow
are the grains of joy.
So should I live that,
when my aged mind begins
to drown in the sea of memories,
the sorrow is but a small eddy
in a joyful ocean.

Starting today.


Read other Five Minute Friday offerings:

Five Minute Friday

1 comment:

  1. Yes - grasping the joy!!! Love your beautiful words - they are filled with tons of emotion and beautiful reminders!

    ReplyDelete