Friday, May 18, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Perspective

Around here we play along with Gypsy Mama's Five Minute Friday meme and write for five minutes--unedited.  Today's topic is perspective, so here we go:

Perspective

I've always been encouraged to see things from a different perspective:  walk a mile in the other person's shoes, see things the way God sees them.

But, mostly, I seem to wander around in an idiocentric myopia--so focused on my beloved goals and "things I need to do" that I forget to take care of the people around me.

I'm more faithful to "feeding" my blogs that to feeding my husband.  In my defense, however, he's a better cook than I am.

I'd rather read one hundred pages than hear a human voice speak one hundred words.

I'd rather trade one hundred emails than have one hundred conversations.

Hm.  Light bulb moment.

I keep people at arm's length.  I don't like synchronous communication.

Why?

Control?  Certainly.  I can wait to respond until I've formulated a proper-to-me response.

Fear?  Yup.  What if I do or say something mortifying?

Excuses?  Oh, yeah.  I'm positively swimming in them.

Remedy?


Feet.  Face.  Ears.

Go to people I love.  Face them; be present in the moment with them.  Listen to them.

That's more terrifying than anything I can imagine.

Do it anyway.

The birds may have a great view from the sky, but it's only a view.  To accomplish anything, they have to come back to earth.

Do it.

Do.  It.

Today.






6 comments:

  1. great thoughts, many of which i struggle, myself.
    have a great day and weekend!
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this encouragement to be face to face. I need this reminder often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your writing style, your font, your thoughts ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... love your writing style, the font, your thoughts ...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fantastic analogy with the birds!

    We have to do something...disengagement doesn't accomplish anything...I'm telling myself this. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!

    I could have written, especially that first part. face to face is riskier and scarier and more tiring - but slowly we learn it is God and it is worth it!

    blessings!

    ReplyDelete